Monday, November 30, 2009

but what were the ducks' names?

I'm not quite sure where Mama has been, but I promise to do a little bit better in December. I've got lots with which to catch up in November!

However, to kick off the holiday season, I thought I would share a story about an exchange I had with Mr. McShortie. We've been decorating for Christmas this weekend, and while the McShorties were taking a nap, I put ornaments on the tree. They came downstairs and had to inspect all the ornaments. Mr. McShortie especially liked the one of a nativity scene in a "house." He was asking me why it was on the tree. Me: "Well, Christmas is really a birthday celebration, and that is a picture of the baby Jesus when he was just born." Mr. McShortie: "What names?" Me: "The Mommy's name is Mary, the Daddy's name is Joseph, and the baby's name is Jesus." Mr. McShortie (pointing to two birds in scene): "Oh. What those?" Well, baby Jesus was actually born in a barn, and those are probably ducks." Mr. McShortie: "What their names??" He was fairly upset when I told him that I didn't know their names and he asked me numerous times that day about the ducks. Somehow I'm not quite sure I properly conveyed the true focus of the origin of Christmas.

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday hoopla this year!

2 comments:

Auntie Short said...

Bigger question: are you guys going to get out the birthday hats on Christmas?

-r&b ...LT, lil man C, and miss lucy said...

I just read this to Ryan and we are laughing out loud. HAHAHA!!!